PREPARING YOUR PLUMBING FOR THE HOLIDAYS
At Trouble Shooters, we enjoy gathering with friends and family to celebrate the holiday season and we hope that you have an enjoyable time too, but it is important to note that with the rise in visiting guests and large meal clean up, your home’s plumbing is going to get quite a workout. It would be a very inconvenient and upsetting time for a plumbing emergency, like a clogged sink or toilet, so before starting your holiday celebrations take the time to review how your home’s system is performing to make sure you get the most out of it.
HOLIDAY PLUMBING TIPS TO KEEP YOUR HOUSE RUNNING SMOOTH
Keep your kitchen sink clog free:
- Watch what goes down your garbage disposal. No potato or stringy vegetable peels.
- Always run water while you run your garbage disposal as this helps flush the food down.
- Never try to force something down.
- Use a mesh screen in your kitchen sink to keep food particles out.
- Never empty greasy pans into your kitchen sink. Grease is the #1 reason a kitchen sink will clog. When it cools it solidifies and restricts normal flow. Wipe grease out of pans with paper towel before washing.
Prepare your toilet for extra use:
- Take a moment well before your guests arrive to examine if your toilet is functioning properly. Listen for a hissing noise or a constant running sound and do a visual inspection. For more tips check out our Toilet Maintenance 101 post.
- Know your fixtures’ limits. If the toilet is old and people are using it constantly, there might be an issue. Ask guests to use a secondary bathroom, if available, to spread the system pressure out.
- VERY IMPORTANT – remind guests to only flush toilet paper and have a small trash bin by the toilet for other items. The most common reason toilets clog is not from use, but from flushing items that aren’t meant to go down toilet drains.
Is your hot water ready for overnight visitors?
- It is common to have family stay with you over the holidays but this can add significant pressure to your hot water system. Before they visit, check that your tank and all its connections are working properly. If you have an ageing system, consider upgrading it or getting a tune up.
- Ask guests to stagger their showers to before or after breakfast to leave some time in between for the tank to regenerate.
- Run your dishwasher at night or later in the day so as to not interfere with morning showers.
We wish you the happiest of holidays, but if you find yourself with a plumbing emergency and in need of assistance our team is there for you. Call our office at 416-291-9444.